Educational services are available in all prisons and are provided in partnership with a range of educational agencies including the Educational Training Boards (ETBs), Public Library Services, the Open University and the Arts Council. KWETB provide educational services for two prisons within its remit – Shelton Abbey and the Midland Prison. Junior and Leaving Certificate courses are available and QQI accreditation is widely used with assessment by portfolio compilation.
KWETB prison courses and programmes can be broadly categorised as follows:
- Basic Education – including literacy, numeracy, English as a second language and communications
- Creative Arts – notably music, sound recording and production, drama, art, craft, stone work, creative writing, film production and photography
- Technology – including woodwork, woodcarving, metalwork, computer-aided design, information technology and horticulture
- General Subjects – incorporating history, languages, geography, home economics and English literature
- Life Skills – personal development, interpersonal skills, anger management, parenting, child care, addiction studies, driver theory, food hygiene, etc.
- Healthy Living – notably physical education, sports, fitness and recreational activities, health education, diet and nutrition